This is my 24th income report for this blog.
Every month I publish a post like this showing:
- how much money I made
- what I worked on
- and what my plans are for the future.
These reports will help me keep myself accountable, and hopefully I can help you figure out how you can make money online.
Table of Contents
What I Did in February/Beginning of March
February was surprisingly productive, but also full of surprised and disappointment.
There’s a reason for why I’m writing this post in March. I’ve had to put out fires and focus on my businesses so I had no time for this.
- Continued teaching my VA keyword research and showed her how to create Web 2.0 backlinks.
- Got hit by the mysterious Fred update and the Amazon affiliate commission changes nearly at the same time.
- Completely restructured WHQ and “silo”d the content with the hopes that it’ll help with getting back my rankings.
- Tested 6 writers on Upwork and kept one of them. So far he’s written 10,000 words of informational content and I plan on adding at least 25k words per month to WHQ for the next 3 months. I think this should help me with the Fred issues, but more on that later.
- Focused on working on college courses and online work. Didn’t rest that much.
I planned on being productive in January, and while I didn’t do everything I wanted to, I also accomplished other things I didn’t even think about so it all evens out in the end. 😉
- Publish two posts on OnlineMoneyz: FAILED– I didn’t do either of these. 🙁
- “A year in review” post covering how much money I made and spent during the year, how I could’ve made more money and how much my income grew.
- Post 1 of my secret project that I won’t be telling you about until it’s up.
- Show my VA how to use Upwork and possibly hire a couple writers for my new project. SORTA FAILED– I showed her how to create Web 2.0s and hired writers by myself so it’s not that much of an issue.
- Edit and publish 3 drafts on WHQ. SUCCEEDED– Published and edited a total of 10 posts.
Plans For March
Since I never accomplish my goals anyway I decided not to set anything for March.
Instead I’d rather just talk about what I will be doing without setting any hard goals for myself.
WHQ completely tanked for 85% of keywords so I need a way to bring it back.
I don’t have proof, but I think that Fred targets low quality sites, but I also think it looks at the ratio of affiliate to non-affiliate content on the site and the “authority” of the site for specific topics.
My site is 80% pure affiliate “top X” articles with almost no other posts in similar niches.
While the quality of the “top X” posts is very high, I think it’s not enough.
I plan to add at least 75,000 words of high quality non-affiliate content to the site in related silos as that should hit all of the 3 factors that I think affected my site.
Since I currently have 110,000 words on the site, that means that I will nearly double my word count and have a 50/50 split of affiliate and non-affiliate content.
If that doesn’t work, I’ll cut my losses and move on to either a different site or a different business/affiliate program and just wait and see if WHQ gets its rankings back after some sitting.
Since I also got hammered with the Amazon affiliate commission change, my BAB income and valuation basically got cut in half so I went from about $1k per month to about $500 per month and from a valuation of $25k to about 12k.
This is all very sad, but there’s no point in sitting here and pouting. Honestly, this might be the perfect kick in the butt I needed to get off my “passive, make my VA do all the work” lifestyle and actually start figuring out ways to improve my sites and find new ways to make money myself.
My traffic is still about the same. Nothing interesting.
Amazon Affiliate Websites Traffic
This section is for those interested in my Amazon affiliate sites.
Most of my income is from Amazon, so I thought you might be interested in seeing how much traffic I get on my biggest sites and how much money they make.
BAB is my highest traffic site by far (I have acronyms for all of my sites because I don’t want to reveal the URL, but I need some way to keep track of them.)
I made $1,069.35 from the site this month, compared to $1,203.68 in January.
It wasn’t as high as I was hoping for, but I’ll be lucky to even get close to this in March because of the Amazon commission change.
The site had a small increase, but nothing huge. There should be a big increase in April though because that’s the most popular time to buy the products I promote.
WHQ is a site that I removed from this section previously, but I’m bringing it back now as it’s on the upswing.
It made $286.55 in January compared to $294.67 in December.
That’s actually not too bad considering that the site still isn’t ranking for most of the keywords I would like it to rank for.
The traffic increased by nearly 40% once again, but the income is the same. It’s traffic from buying keywords also so I’m not sure why my income didn’t increase proportionally.
Here are the numbers that everyone loves to see!
- Amazon Affiliate- $1896.61 Another solid month. I’m hoping that March won’t result in a huge drop because even though the commissions decreased, the amount of traffic to BAB should increase.
- Content Samurai– $631.68 N Once again, no work done and $600 earned. I should really review high-quality programs with recurring commissions more often. I spent 5-10 hours on one website and made nearly $4k from it. Sweeeet!
- Total- $2528.29 Four straight months of $2,000+ earnings. March, April, and May should still be above $2k, but I’m not sure about this summer. I better get on it so I don’t break my streak!
- SerpLab- $5 Keyword tracking.
- Aweber- $19 Emails.
- SEO- $125 $25 for PBN links for my only PBN-based site, and $100 for links to another site.
- Domains/Hosting- $25.16 Had to pay to renew one of my domains.
- KW Research- $51.75 Bought a couple of keywords. Now that I’ve taught my VA how to do keyword research though, I don’t have to do this anymore.
- VA- $342 $3 per hour full-time. I actually moved her up to $4 per hour for March so there’ll be more expenses in the coming months.
- Total- $567.91 Expenses aren’t too bad.
Total Profit: $1960.38
Nearly $2,000 in profit. That’s crazy, but my VA skipped some hours which is why it’s more than it really should be.